Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Feeling at home

Hi everyone!

Sorry it's been forever since I have posted. Everytime I got online I'd think, I need to write to everyone but I want to make it good so I'll do it another time. So finally I decided just to write and see what comes out of my head, even though I don't have any stories that stand out.

I am settling into my house and love living there. I still wanna buy some things for it, furniture, shelves, etc, but it is looking cute. My garden is great, and already sweet corn, cucumber, lettuce, and green beans are sprouting. I am a regular little campesina now (i.e. farmer, hick, you get it). I also put in a lot of flowers. My mom send me a box full of seed packets - you should have seen the eyes of my friends who saw the immense pile of seeds she had sent. I gave a lot away and it was like a mini Christmas.

Work is going well, although seems a bit slow these days. My boss came into Dulce Nombre to check in with me last week and was actually worried I was doing too much. I said, don't worry, there are days when I do nothing but visit friends or clean the house or read a book, so I am not feeling stressed. I have started doing some charlas in the poor rural towns outside of Dulce Nombre, and still intend to start in the school here at some point. I am also waiting for money to come in (hopefully this week or next) so I can finally finish Pri's latrine project. I can't apply for my own money until that project is completed. I am making a few stoves here and there with extra supplies Pri left. What else - the kindergarten English classes still, and the aerobics class has been bumped up to two days a week, Wednesday and Friday nights. A lot of new people are coming which is cool. My friend Angela is coming in this Wed. to come to my class and help me with a stove the next morning. A new youth group is starting here in DNC also and I am going to the first meeting for that after I get off the computer here - I am going to see if they need help or if I can do some activities with them. A friend of mine and I also are thinking of doing a family garden project...raising some money for seeds (or getting more from mom:) ) and teaching families how to use the little space beside there house for a garden so they can supplement the daily diet of beans and tortillas.

My new social life here in DNC is still raging. I made an awesome lasagna a couple weeks ago and a friend made piƱa coladas and I invited about 5 or 6 people, while 10 or 11 people ended up coming. We had a good time though. People are always passing by, which is usually a good thing. Last week however I wasn't feeling well but still got a ton of visitors, so I went to Santa Rosa for a night to relax at the PC house and hang out with some other volunteers. I am feeling better now. I started going to this cool church in Santa Rosa on Sunday nights...a couple friends with cars go and so I go with them. It reminds me of a small version of WEAG - very upbeat, community feeling. Of course, it is in Spanish, which somewhat hinders my understanding and inspiration, but it is better than nothing.

Chris comes in one month, give or take, and I am very excited. I am planning to spend a few days here in Dulce Nombre with him, and then maybe going to Pico Bonito near the coast for a few days (www.picobonito.com ) which is supposed to be awesome. Everyone is excited to meet him and my family when they come in December.

Well that is it for now I suppose. Remember you can always call my cell phone - it is almost always with me. I would love to hear some of your voices that I haven't heard for 6 months!
Talk to you soon! Lots of love :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home