Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Getting this keyboard muddy...

Hi all!

I write to you on a breezy afternoon her in Dulce Nombre. I spent all morning with Pritham getting muddy and making an hornilla. It was different today because we were just making it for a lady, not showing any groups of women how to make it and having to explain anything. It was good, satisfying, dirty work. By noon we had mud on our face, clothes, and of course hands and arms, and went back to her house to make a yummy lunch of squash soup and flatbread with cheese, tomatoes, and some other delicious items, including some GREAT milano cookies my mom has just sent me. I am pretty sleepy now but probably won't have time for a nap today...hopefully I'll make it ;) I want to go home after this and wash some clothes by hand, hang 'em up, and get myself cleaned up. Then maybe I can start a book my mom sent me before dinner.

I had a good weekend in San Marcos by the way. Not many Hondurans came to the film festival, but us PC volunteers had a great time. Each ticket was about 50 cents, and I watched Ice Age, The Bourne Supremacy, and the NEW Star Wars movie, bootlegged of couse. But it was on a big screen and was a pretty good deal I think! We had informal parties both nights and lot of good, deep conversations and funny, not so deep moments. Between 10 and 14 volunteers came into town and many of them I hadn't known before because they weren't in my group, so it was funny getting to know some cool people. There are about 230 volunteers in Honduras I think, maybe more, and as only 33 of those were in my training group, I have lots of potential friends out there to meet :)

Tomorrow I am helping give a teen pregnancy charla with a couple nurses from the health center at the high school. I think I'll talk about some of the high costs of having a baby, the rates of pregnancy with various contraceptives, where to get contraceptives, goal setting and how one's future changes when you have a baby to worry about, and the new Honduran law that holds men responsible (supposedly) when they father a baby. It shouldn't be too hard of a talk, and it's only an hour. I don't know how effective these talks are, as there is a staggering teen pregnancy rate here, but maybe it'll affect one or two kids. That's what I'll tell myself anyway :)

Ok well I am off to wash some clothes -- woo hoo! I have access to a washing machine here, but I have learned that hand washing gets the dirt and stains out much better ... who woulda thought?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home