Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

False alarms all around

Hey all,

Well it's Sunday afternoon and I am in Santa Rosa. Because of the "storm" my taller on the coast was cancelled, unfortunately. So I came into Santa Rosa last night and hung out with Angela and about 12 other PCVs that were in town...we had a fun, chill night, had a cookout with awesome burgers, hotdogs, fresh salsa and chips, this amazing mango-avocado-tomato salsa, french bread, banana bread, and lots of other foods that were don't get enough of :) Then we rented some movies - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (love it love it love it) and a classic movie starring the Rock...yeah. But it was a fun night. The hurricane...well it never came. It got cloudy and breezy for a while, but it never even rained. So I don't know what happened but a lot of stuff got cancelled...school, my workshop in La Ceiba, the schools didn't even open.

So Pri left for a few days - it was a good time since I was going to be out of town as well - but now I have lots of time. I think tomorrow I am going to try to garden out back of my future house, currently where Pri lives. Angela said she might come into Dulce Nombre and help me plant some seeds and machetear the grass. It'll be fun I think. The weather here has been beautiful. But until Thursday I have hardly anything planned. Breaktime for me :) I'll try to catch up on my letters during this down time.

It was cool seeing some other people from my training group in town this weekend. It sounds like I have been busier than average, thanks to Pri. I feel like together we have gotten a lot accomplished these past 5 or 6 weeks and I have made progress in my community. But still, every now and then comes a day where you can't speak Spanish for some reason, or you make a hundred social blunders...but such is life here in Honduras. Last night as I was talking to Angela before bed (I stayed at her apartment) we talked about our experiences so far here, and we had a lot of funny stories and interesting observations we have made so far. Every day is food for thought, a learning experience.

Well love you all and I'm glad I got in an extra post this week. Back soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home