Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Friday, April 01, 2005

TGIF

Hi everyone!

Well I didn't pass the final language exam and they said I can't go to my site next week like everyone else. My whole Peace Corps service is in jeopardy. I am so sad to disappoint you all....

Well in case you are feeling sad now, April Fool's :) I had to do something! It's our family tradition after all to do very creative slightly sadistic April Fool's jokes on other family members. Mine wasn't so creative but hey I am short on time.

I just wanted to check in because it has been awhile. I only have about 10 minutes to write...I am using the internet during my lunch break here at our training center in Siguatepeque. Today has been very laidback. We learned the Honduran national anthem and my well-trained ears hurt afterwards since everyone was singing different notes. But when it came time to sing the American anthem (we are practicing for next week) they had me choose a note for the group and we started on the same pitch, thank Goodness ;) Wow, I sound like a music snob. Sorry.

Tomorrow I am getting up at 5 am to go off to visit Santa Rosa de Copan. They unfortunately don't pay for a site visit anymore so I am using my own money. But I am going with my friends Angela, Danyel, and David so it shouldn't be too bad of a ride. I think it will take about 5 hours. We have to go through San Pedro Sula so I am slightly worried about that but many people have already done it and say it's not that bad. When we get there we are going to walk around Santa Rosa and look for a place to live for Angela and see the city. We will stay in a hotel there. There is a goodbye party for the PC group in the west who are getting ready to end their 2 years of service in Honduras, so I will see the volunteer I am replacing there. Then I hope I will be able to visit Dulce Nombre on Sunday morning to drop of some stuff and look at some different places to live before coming back to Siguatepeque. It will be a full weekend but I am looking forward to it. I will write and describe my site for you when I get back!

Well I have to run. Sorry this is so short. Oh real quick, I got mail yesterday and want to thank Ian, Wendi, Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa, Tim, and Rachel for great letters! I was laughing out loud at some of them and it was great to hear from you. I will write back when I get to my site in a week...right now things are too crazy. But they really made my day!

Love and miss you all. talk to you soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home