Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Writing from Siguatepeque

Hi all!

Just a quick check-in from Siguat. I am in town visiting my host family (Pri had to come into town to give a charla to the new training group so I decided to keep her company on the bus). Anyway my host family was very excited to have me visit and they have been very welcoming. They have a new volunteer living with them, a cool girl from Texas, and it has been fun getting to know her and meeting some of the other people in the group. They just got here the end of May. Tonight I might go out with some of them as well. There is one guy that graduated my year but from UNC, which is kinda cool. Apparently a lot of people from the new group will be coming out West where I am, so I might be seeing some of these people a lot of in the future.

It is an odd feeling being the more "experienced" one and also feeling like my Spanish is really good. So I have come a long way in my Spanish...but there are still many days back in Dulce Nombre where I miss half a conversation and all of the jokes because I can't follow the Spanish. But my host family says I have improved a lot so that is enough for now. Only two months in my site and I am back here talking to the new trainees....time is flying by if I am already that volunteer. It's a weird feeling. But it makes me feel like progress is being made, even if I am not cognizant of it, and that a lot has happened in the last 5 months.

Well gotta go....Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

1 Comments:

  • At June 24, 2005 at 4:22 AM, Blogger Dirty Flamingo said…

    Hey there! I periodically read your blog to see how things are going in Latin America. My boyfriend and I have just applied and will be interviewed in a week. We hope to go to Latin America as well, although as a couple our chances are grim...(sad face).

    I've added your blog as a link on my peace corps blog:

    beforeitallbegan.blogspot.com

    I hope you don't mind! Siempre cuentas cosas interesantes en tu blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home