Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Monday, June 27, 2005

My house, in the middle of my street

Hi people!

Well life has changed here in Dulce Nombre. First, my lovely site mate, Pri, has left, her 2+ years ended. The town already feels different without her. I am sure I will get used to it though in time, but it was great having her here. The town gave her a big goodbye party, and you could really feel the love and appreciation in the room. The great thing is that most of the people in that room are now my friends, so hopefully that will make my time here satisfying.

The other change is that I have finally moved into my own house! After almost 6 months living with families, I now can do whatever I want, on my own schedule, in peace or to the pace of my own music, in my own house. It is a big house for one person and very nice by Peace Corps standards, with white tiled floors, a big kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The ceilings are very high, creating a dilemna now that I need to change a lightbulb :) I have put up a border of postcards and pictures of family and friends around the kitchen, a la Pri, so whenever I am cooking or cleaning I can see all of my loved ones. There is a small gated front part, where I am hoping to plant some flowers, but a pretty big backyard, where as you know I planted a garden. The garden is very neglected right now, so it will take some work to get it back up and running, but I am looking forward to it. The backyard has the garden, a pila to wash my clothes, a back gate through which are the pits for my garbage, some clothes lines, and benches. I am hoping to beautify it a bit. Anyway, the last 24 hours I have been cleaning and moving things around and putting away my things. I am hoping to buy some more furniture in the near future, but Pri left most of the big pieces so I have everything I need just about. Carmen and the rest of the family helped me move my things in the back of their pickup, and then I cooked them dinner, spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic bread. I used some of the fresh herbs that have already come up out back. The oohed and ahhed over the house and gave me decorating tips. Carmen said she wanted to arrange for a man to come this week and help me chop down the tall grass out back, where snakes apparently could be lurking, she says. She also said she wants to bring in some good dirt for me soon, yay :) It's the little things that get me excited these days! So it's nice to have help with those kinds of things.

Well just wanted to do a quick checkin with you! I am going to send out my cell phone number so that you all can call me whenever :) Lots of love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home