Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

On my lunch break...

Hello from Honduras!

I am stealing a few minutes online during my lunch break here at the training center in Siguatepeque. Today it is sunny and warm with blue skies and fluffy white clouds. I heard about all the snow you all are getting in Virginia! Cant exactly say I am envious. I am getting pretty tan here...trying to wear sunscreen but the sun sort of sneaks up on you here!

Things are going well here. Last night I went over to my Tias house to receive a call from my mom, my sister Wendi, and my nephew Connor. Very nice to talk to you all! I hope the phone bill doesnt change your mind about calling though! I cant wait to get the letters and packages they told me about. Yesterday was our first time to receive mail and I got a letter from grandma and grandpa...how exciting! Everyone was really excited about the mail...a couple people got packages and it really lifts the spirits to see something in your mailbox.

I am really enjoying living with my family. I have a cute little room with green walls, a double bed with a huge mosquito net over it (required by Peace Corps), a little table to do my homework if I want (but I usually do it out in the sala while the family watches television to be more social), and a little closet to stack up folded clothes and hang some stuff up. My hermana does my laundry whenever I have a few things to wash, but this weekend I washed my underwear. First time handwashing in a Pila, a big sink here that is vital to Honduran life. I did pretty well I think! Last night I also help my Mami and hermana make Pastelitos, little fried pastries filled with rice and meat and topped with fresh pico de gallo. Yummmm! The house has a pretty large living room with a couch, some chairs, and a television, a large kitchen, then a backyard with 2 extra rooms I believe they are going to be renting out (there are 2 small bedrooms in the house). All in all it is a comfy house. I definitely lucked out. I usually have hot water in the shower, but when the shower isnt working, my hermana heats up water for me to have a sort of bucket bath in the shower. It is not too bad. Some people dont have reliable water in their houses and have to bucket bath with cold water or skip showers altogether some days.

Spirits are staying mostly high. Yesterday one friend was down because spanish was causing a lot of frustration and she missed her boyfriend (which I understand) and I think I cheered her up pretty well. We all are trying to support each other and keep the spirits up. Sometimes it does get hard and discouraging, but all in all, I am holding up well and like Honduras and love most of the Hondurans I have met. Its hard to imagine before you come that you will make Honduran friends, but when you get here, you realize they are just like us in many ways. We get silly together and make fun of each other, they love music and food, fight with their siblings, love their families, complain about random things, laugh at funny parts in movies or television shows, and love oooing and ahhing at cute children.

Well I have to go...this afternoon we have an hour or so of Health training for my project, then some safety training...some more experienced volunteers are here at the training center to talk about their experiences which should be interesting! I got two more vaccines today and my shoulders are a bit sore...ick. Ok enough rambling...keep writing and I love you and miss you all!


1 Comments:

  • At February 3, 2005 at 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats to you for offering yourself to people less fortunate. One thing we've learned thru travel is that all people are so alike. People in the far east do the same things you guys are doing for showers, example. Sometimes there is hot water and sometimes there is no electricity. The amazing thing is that the spirit of the people is so high and they have so little but they still keep smiling. Travel in the east isn't much different. Some people at home don't see what the rest of the world endures. We are so spoiled with all of our automaticities. Hand washing clothes is pretty much the norm but people at home freak! So good luck to you and God bless you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home