Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

First Impressions of Honduras

Hi everyone :)

It is Sunday and I have come to an internet cafe in Siguatepeque with my host family sister, mi hermana, who is really really nice. I'm already finding it difficult to write in English. I keep writing Spanish words and then correcting myself. Also the keyboard is different so I'm slowly learning where " ' ? : ) and all these other symbols are. Another issue in Honduras is most of the computers are slower than we in the states are used to. So a half hour online is enough time to read maybe 4 emails and write one short one. So be patient with me!

My Spanish has improved a lot in just a few days. It helps when you have to spend hours with a family who knows no English. It's hard first thing in the morning to talk in Spanish over breakfast. I said several times this morning when I couldn't think of a word, "No puedo hablar español en la mañana, necesito mas cafe " - I can't speak spanish in the morning, I need more coffee - and they laugh with me and understand.

I'm getting more comfortable with my family. The mother Elsa is really quiet but she is slowly coming out of her shell. Liza is very talkative and we are becoming friends. Cindy is the 10 year old, a little chubby and her sister and mom regularly make jokes about her being fat. They think this is hilarious. Liza is tiny, and she makes me feel tall even though I am barely 5'4". We are the same age though. Another regular presence is Cindy's cousin and best friend, also ten, Eblin, and it took me forever to understand her name, let me tell you.

I have already taught them how to play Pick-Up Sticks and Uno, both of which they love. They have a lot of time here so love games. Another favorite activity is listening to music, both in spanish and familiar American music like Avril Levigne (sp?) and watching television. There is usually one or both of these sounds on in the background.

In the morning I have been waking up about 6:30 on my own. I am so happy I brought ear plugs because the roosters and dogs barking go alllll night. It's a crazy sound that is hard to understand unless you have heard it. I have been sleeping like a baby. I think I have their best room, with a double bed with a mosquito net over it (although I have yet to see a mosquito). It gets chilly at night so I have a sheet and 2 blankets over me, and am very comfortable. Since I typically go to sleep around 9:30 or 9:40 I wake up early when I hear the house starting to come alive. By the time I take my now hot shower (I learned how to use it!) and get dressed, they have breakfast waiting for me. My breakfast is typically a type of grilled cheese and ham, or bread with chicken, or beans and chicken with tortillas. I usually have pineapple, peach, or other juice or some delicious Honduran coffee - it's so good. Then I take a packed lunch to "school" in a thermos.

I'll write more about training in a bit, we start spanish classes tomorrow and for me, Health classes for my project. I hear training can be very hard and tiring, so we'll see how I hold up.

Last night we went to a restaurant that volunteers frequent a lot called Mangosta, and had dinner and a few Honduran beers. We were celebrating a birthday of one of the other trainees, Eric. It was a good time - I had a hamburger and french fries :)

I love you all and hope to continue hearing from you! I am doing well and liking Honduras a lot so far. It´s still strange but I'm slowly getting more comfortable here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home