Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Monday, December 20, 2004

It's becoming real! Staging and Contact info

I got my staging packet today! My crazy adventure now has times and locations added in.

I found out staging will actually be in Washington, D.C. instead of Miami like I thought before. "Staging" is a two-day orientation to the Peace Corps before leaving for Honduras. It simplifies things a bit for me, since I can just drive up to DC with Chris instead of taking a plane to staging in Miami. I might even be able to squeeze in a couple extra hours with Chris before I leave too :)
Staging begins Monday, January 17th at 2:00 pm at Washington Plaza. The first day is mainly introductions and an overview of the Peace Corps, as well as safety issues, anxieties and aspirations, and the logistics of training in Honduras. Day two is from 8:30 am - 6:00 pm and covers some cultural issues, policies, and expectations. Sounds like a ton of fun, doesn't it? What WILL be fun, or at least interesting, is meeting all my fellow trainees. The staging packet says there will be approximately 35 people in my training group.

Then, finally, on Wednesday, January 19, we check out of our hotel at 4:30 am (where we really see the true nature of everyone in my training group - and I'm not a big morning person, people) and leave for Reagan airport to leave for Tegucigalpa, Honduras! I'm sure my heart will be pounding. That is, if I'm even awake yet.

Just a reminder: I will be treasuring every letter I get while I'm there, and probably be a nerd and save them. You can even begin writing me now, then they might be waiting for me when I get there ;) My mailing address during training will be:

Lauren Mohlie
Voluntario del Cuerpo de Paz
Apartado Postal 3158
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
America Central

Some helpful hints for sending letters and packages:

1. Use padded envelopes instead of boxes when possible, especially the hard to open bubbly kind

2. Number letters and packages if you send more than one. Numbering the letter helps me to know if one is missing or I'm receiving one out-of-order.

3. Label packages "Feminine Hygiene Products Enclosed" or "Religious Artifacts Enclosed" (I guess to lessen the temptation to open it in transit).

If my mailing address turns out to be different, I'll let you know. It may change when I get my site assignment, so I'll keep you updated. If ever in doubt, you can send it to this address though, and I can pick up my mail when I'm in the capital. And of course, although I'm unsure how often I'll be able to check email, or if I'll have enough time online to read and reply to everyones' emails, my email address is laurenmohlie@yahoo.com . I'll be interested in every little mundane detail of your existence, so start writin'! I'll love pictures too.

I'll just put this in here in case it's needed - to reach me in an emergency, my family can contact the Office of Special Services in Washington, D.C. at 800-424-8580, extension 1470 during business hours, or (202) 638-2574 after hours and on weekends. The Office of Special Services will contact Peace Corps/Honduras immediately, which will help me contact you.

With just a few days before Christmas, I'm finding odd moments make me sad. I'm really going to miss my comfortable circle of family and friends and habits. I have, let's see...28 days! Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home