Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Monday, November 01, 2004

Random Thoughts

Well, November is officially here and I have a little over 2 months to go before I'm on a plane to Honduras! I can't decide if time is dragging or speeding by...

This past weekend I spent an awesome Halloween with my friends and family. Although I had a blast, it was pretty bittersweet. I enjoyed having a traditional, normal time. Those normal times won't happen very often in Honduras. On Sunday I spent the day going to church with the family, raking leaves outside in the beautiful warm fall day, carving pumpkins, and joining in the excitement of my trick-or-treating 4-year-old nephew Connor. What an awesome American time I had. I couldn't help but think that there is no autumn in Honduras, no trick-or-treating, no cute little nephew, and no one who will recognize the Puss in Boots costume I had on.

It's also unnerving to hear my family's plans for the next year or so and realize I won't be there for them. They even forget that I won't be there and I have to remind them, which somewhat dampens the air around us.

I am really excited in some ways, don't get me wrong. I can't wait to meet my fellow Peace Corps volunteers and make new lifelong friends. I can't wait to help out my new community. But it's still so uncertain and scary sometimes.

I really hope my friends and family will keep their promises to write me! I know I will need lots of support and love while I'm away. I'm counting on getting all the gossip and news, even the stuff that seems so mundane - I will miss the mundane!

I know a big help during all this will be my faith. My renewed belief in God and Christ over the past year was one of the main reasons I seriously looked into the Peace Corps. I felt like I needed to give something back after all the blessings I've received over the course of my life. It sounds corny, but I know I will never be alone.

But that doesn't mean I don't want visitors! My parents, Chris, my grandparents, and Sarah have all told me they want to visit. I hear visits from friends and family are awesome for both sides, so I'd love to show you all Honduras! No matter how long it's been since I've talked to you, I'd love a visit. I'll try to post pictures of the beautiful mountains and people and places that I know I'll see when I get there.

Well that's enough rambling for now...Happy November!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home