Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Reconnecting with my other awesome PCVs

Hi all!

I feel like it's been a while since I've been able to write. Haven't been using internet as much these days, but I'll try to do better.

I just got back to Dulce Nombre yesterday. I left last Sunday to go to Siguatepeque for our reconnect conference and project workshop, which is meant to get your old training group back together and discuss what we've been up to, things that have gone well and not so well, and learn things for the upcoming months. I had an awesome time seeing everyone. I also learned a lot...I have all these ideas now for things I want to do in the next few months - stuff with the youth group, a world map project, ideas for getting money to do projects, health talks for men in pool halls (by men of course). It's hard to believe we have already been in our site for 6 months, making that more than 8 months in Honduras - where does the time go! I stayed up late just about every night socializing with everyone, and woke up early every morning for more items on the agenda. We ate very well the whole week, so it's time to go on a mini-diet now that I'm back in my site! The last night we had a talent show and our bosses brought in a disco. Ordinarily talent shows are pretty lame, but I have to say this was the best one I have ever been to. Highlights were some awesome music, banjo and guitar playing and singing, comedy acts, acrobats, a dance routine to Michael Jackson's thriller where we were all the zombies, one guy hypnotized a chicken, a great video one guy made during the conference that was hilarious, titled "the sexual awakening of Hondu 5" which is our training group. The word on the street, although we didn't win, was that me and friends Bryan and Karen got people's choice award. At the last minute we decided to since "A whole new world" from Aladdin while Karen did interpretive dance. Only the thing was, Bryan sang like Neil Diamond and I sang like Betty Boop. It might not sound that funny, but people were laughing so hard they were crying. Karen had a towel that served as the magic carpet. But I thought it was a pretty good act thrown together at the last minute. Very fun. Then we danced like crazy and talked and stayed up til 3 am as usual.

The next day most people left to go back to their sites, but I stayed an extra night to hang out with my host family in Siguat. It's always good to see them. I am hoping to take my mom there in December or January because they want to meet my family and she will have enough time.

On Friday I came back to Dulce Nombre just for a night, because I missed my bed and also my cat. Oh yeah, I didn't say I got a kitty! Another PCV in Gracias raised some kittens and gave me one before she left to go back to the states. It's 2 months old, gray with huge green eyes, and I named it "Piropo", which is what they call catcalls that all the men have been taught to do at an early age at any female that walks by. Anyway, it's fun to have him in the house...he's already broken some stuff, but I figure that's part of the kitty growing up process. He loves to play and snuggles with me at night, although he likes to play with my feet in the morning before I am ready to get up. Instead of using kitty litter, I get sawdust from the coffin-makers across the street and put in in a box. Except for peeing on my bed once (grrrr) he has been pretty good about using it. Anyway, Piropo and I are doing pretty well together, when he behaves himself.

Saturday night we had a party at the Santa Rosa house, a mix of a goodbye to Hondu 2, who leaves in the next month, and what we call a "Chavo/Chava Party", where we all dress up like Hondurans. It was really fun going out dancing and playing games at the house. I used up the last of my brownies Chris brought me, and they were a bit hit.

Now I am back in Dulce Nombre, thank goodness, and spent the day doing laundry out in the pila, cleaning up, and relaxing. I have a lot of work to do, but needed a day to get settled after the week of traveling.

Well I miss you all a lot! Can't wait for more visits, calls, emails, whatever you can give me :) Lots of love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home