Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Sweatin' FBT

Hi everyone!

Well I am definitely enjoying the AC in this internet cafe because it is very hot outside today. I really like Santa Cruz but it feels much more tropical and hot, with lots of palm trees and banana and mango trees around. Last night it apparently poured for a while but I didn't hear it because I had my trusty ear plugs in to block out the crazy roosters and hyperactive dogs who bark all night.

My living sitation got figured out. I am staying with the same family and it actually worked out well because now I have my own private room and bathroom in the back of their house - the have a suite the rent out and I am staying in it. It seems pretty new, and has a double bed, tile floor, a ceiling fan, an old tv, and the bathroom has a sink, toilet and shower! The shower is cold this time but since it is so hot here I don't mind, especially now that I can roam around my room in my towel - PC really lets you appreciate the little things. I still plan to spend most of my free time in the main house with the family though so I can get to know them and practice my Spanish. They were very happy I was staying with them. She said she prayed to the "Senor" (Lord) that I would stay so I could keep her 25 year old daughter company. The mom sells food for takeout to people and so far my meals have been very good, very colorful with a lot of variety and yay, vegetables, but she really piles it on my plate, so I can't usually finish.

I am happy that I now have kids in my household, although I left most of my games back at my house in Siguatepeque since I wasn't expecting kids. The 2 year old girl Selene is really cute and chubby, and resembles me when I was her age. The 9 year old Cesar is hyperactive but always smiling. My host mom Stephania's husband is very sweet too, constantly doting on his granddaughter, and it is nice to see the family sentiment in a Honduran man. I taught them how to play UNO, which they like and it's amusing to watch them play. I think this weekend they want to take me to El Cajon, which is a large dam of some kind that is supposed to be very beautiful if not functional. My house has a telephone so if you would like to call me you can do so any night after 7 my time, when it is pretty certain I'll be home. Mom has the number now.

This week we have been working in partners to prepare an HIV/AIDS charla we will be giving to a group of youth called Castillo del Rey on Friday. Me and my friend who's also named Lauren are working together and have made a bunch of funny puppets to explain different ideas. We have a "Super Condom" guy who saves the day, some little monsters who represent the AIDS virus, and little "Flu" and "Diarrhea" guys who attack the human body when the "White Blood Cells" get decimated by the AIDS guys. The charla will last about 2 hours including all the fun activities we have planned, and then each pair of us will teach 5 youth how to give the charlas themselves. We will help them make their displays and plan their activities, and then on Monday we will watch them give the charla to a group of 6th graders. It should be fun to see happen! Lauren and I still have some work to do to prepare, and have to practice what we will be saying in Spanish, but I think we will do fine. We are both very energetic and goofy so I think the youth will feel at ease with us.

Well I don't know what more to say. I am happy though tired at the moment. The heat saps your energy and also we have been working hard today figuring out our charlas, so I am ready to go home and relax. I love you all and think of you every night! God bless :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home