Lauren's Peace Corps Experience in Honduras

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed and experiences described in this travelogue are mine personally. Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government. I have chosen to write about my experience online in order to update family and friends; I am earning no money whatsoever from this endeavor. Please do not copy or forward any of these contents without my permission.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Going home

Well, this is the last note from Mom as I leave for home on Thursday after a wonderful 6 12 week visit with Lauren.
I'll start by completing the last 5 of the 10 big differences Lauren asked me to share:
6. The language
Can't list 10 big differences without including that. :) Lauren is profficient in Spanish, but it's a struggle for me and by the end of the day, my brain is fried. I will be so glad to hear blessed English upon my return to the states although I have to say that my Spanish has improved by leaps and bounds.
7. Stray dogs
OK That may seem like a small thing, but dog lovers beware if you ever plan to come to this country. The majority of dogs here are strays, rarely do you ever see one on a leash. And they are the saddest, mangiest looking animals I have ever seen. There is no SPCA here or any form of animal control that I am aware of. The dogs breed freely and their lot in life here is truly a sad one.
8. The food
The basic diet here consists of corn tortillas, beans, eggs, salty white cheese and green bananas (and plantains) So for sure that is an adjustment for anyone coming from the states where choices are abundant.
9.Garbage
:) There is no garbage collection here, Lauren has a 4 foot deep trench past her backyard gate on a hill in which she throws her trash, then burns it once a week or so to keep the dogs from dragging it away. Needless to say the litter in this country is shameful. Only in the manicured sections of towns and parks is it picked up, everywhere else most people just take care of the frontages of their homes.
10. Friendliness and hospitable neighbors
I have to say how much I have enjoyed the absolute friendship and total acceptance of everyone here. They have been wonderful. I love the way they look out for Lauren and the way they all want to give soem}}mething, anything they are able to share. The fact that they have so little is not important to them, when they have something to share, I accept gratefully and enjoy so much the beam on their faces.
People are constantly dropping by, often with plates of local dishes for us. I am so glad I brought 2 boxes of good old Hershey{s chocolate bars from Costco. It was nice to be able to reciprocate a little although completely unneccessary.
I hope they will remember the things I have shared with them as well....and that I have left them with a little something that they will be able to use. They were so receptive to every little thing I was able to teach them, whether it was art, painting or decorating cakes.
I have made many friends and I hope some of them will have the chance to visit us in the states.

Lauren just asked me to write one more blog entry, to list the things that I miss most about this place. I think I will do that one after I get home.

I know I will miss Lauren, but it will be so nice to get home too. Thanks to my 2 mural clients for allowing me to take this sabbatical and put their unfinished murals on hold.

I was able to get Lauren's garden started and going well in the last few weeks. I put in 3 types of basil, including the purple one, cilantro, squash, morning glories, and sunflower. Also added 3 more varities of coleus, so now she has 6 different color varieties. I will have a month or 2 before putting in my own garden at home, but it was so nice to plant. The soil in her yard is so rich and the moisture is perfect. I tried to get bougainvillea started but the roots didn{t take...may just send her some plantling or seeds.

Well that{s it for now....we're off to a restaurant here in Santa Rosa, it{s like their "Applebees" :)

See you all soon!! Lauren sends her love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home